Wednesday, October 15, 2008

a day without breakfast written sept 9th 2008

I remember in the days of my 'didn't care about my health' days it was very normal for me to go without breaksfast; other than maybe a Pepsi! then I was became aware of my obesity- mainly by doctors calling me names like, MORBID OBESE, I started building my library of diet books. they all have theories and recommendation for their system of dieting to work FOR YOU! I've tried most of them and have some reasonable amount of success with most all of them but have always gotten bored with their way of doing things.

The one thing they ALL have in common tho is the mandate that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. No matter what, start eating as soon as you wake up. Certainly it makes sense that your body and metabolism has slept through the night and the only way to get either one a wake is to make it some some work- food to get the 'innards' working and exercise to get the muscles waken up.

It was a difficult concept for me. It made senses but you know when you get into to a habit, it's difficult to get out of it. My thin wife has been a living example for me for thirty years, she eats every morning, not a whole lot but regardless, something. She walks every morning also! hmmmmmmm, you'd think a big lug like me would take notice of the advantages of maybe putting that practise in play in my life! After all God gave me His best help mate in the world when He gave me her! Man, I love her!!!

Over the last two or three years i have started experiencing the benefits of breakfast eating and also making it a habit. The last week and half my daughter and I have now started working out in they gym doing a variety of exercises. This morning we had made an arrangement with our gym facility to do an assessment of our bodies! OH HOW HUMBLING! In the preprocess of the process we were to not eat or drink before coming to have our assessment done. Wow! once you get into that habit of grabbing something to eat first thing in the morning it's difficult not to go into auto pilot when you wake up and do the routine! WE MADE IT though- bad breath and all! ha! The information they shared with us was reallly interesting and I think helpful. It told us our resting metabolism rate, our lean body mass, our calorie needs to maintain and to lose, and many other things that are helpful. BUT THEN>>>>>>>

this is the rest of the story.. . . . .

Rachel and I went to play racquet ball. WHERE WAS OUR ENERGY! It wasn't there, we hadn't been able to refuel for the day before pressing our bodies to work. I felt like we were out of gas before we had ever started. After we pushed through the thirty minutes of raquetball, I went to the treadmill. Again, I was a zombie trying to do an exercise that I didn't have the energy to do.

The moral of the story for me is: We do need to get our metabolism moving in the morning BUT I can not do it with excerise alone, I must eat before exerising so that I can have the work out that I need to have to even further boost that metabolism!! They go hand in hand.

Just say YES to food in the morning! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment